Monday, April 20, 2009

The Stanford Challenge: Seeking Solutions Podcast

I really enjoyed listening to what Carol Dweck had to say about "Growth" vs. "Fixed" minds. I agree with her. The difference between the two is one (growth) is where people who are curious to continue learning and never stop (they think intelligence in a lifelong process), and the other (fixed) is where people want to look intelligent, but never take the time to continue to learn.

Carol said that she did a study on this and neither group knew about the other. She said that the "growth" group were actually more intelligent than the "fixed" group. I think this is obvious. One who continues to learn will always surpass, at some point, one who thinks he/she knows it all.

I will use this strategy when I am a teacher. I will explain to my students that the brain has a larger memory than any computer. It is important that we continue to let our brains grow and expand.

No comments:

Post a Comment